Friday, April 20, 2012

Mountains Sports in Huaraz

After Cusco, I spent 3 days in Huaraz, Peru, a mountain-sport paradise surrounded by legions of mountains, many of which tower above 6000 meters (the tallest, Huascaran, tops out at 6746 meters).  On my first day, I did a full day of rockclimbing in the lovely countryside, followed by a relaxing steam in a natural sauna in a cave.



The second day, I hiked up to Laguna Columa, a glacial lake located high in the Cordilleras Blancas and among the best day-hikes I've ever done!  After an hour on a crowded minibus up a rocky road, I started by hiking through rural farmland enjoying the sites, sounds and smells of farm life, harassed only by overzealous dogs with an uncanny ability to discern an "extranjero" (foreigner).  More bark than bite, they inevitably cowed when I picked up a stone or stick to threaten them with.



The trail steadily snaked upwards to the entrance of the National Park, where it steeped considerably.  With the reduced oxygen at 4000 meters, it became a real workout to ascend.  


After clambering upwards for another hour, including sections pulling myself up cables over steep, slippery granite, I was rewarded with this spectacular view of Laguna Charup at 4450 meters.


Unfortunately, in the late afternoon no minibus was heading back down from the trailhead, so I ended up walking the extra 19 kilometers back to Huaraz.  Needless to say, I was a bit sore the next day!



1 comment:

  1. Hey!! Good to hear some travel news from you. Looks so beautiful - what camera are you using? Can't be your phone, or can it? Hope all is well. Karie

    ReplyDelete